August 28, 2017
Product Availability –
1) Chicken - We are out of chicken. Next batch will be available September 12th. You can reserve your needs by emailing me how many you want. Last two batches for 2017 will be Oct 7th and Nov 4th.
2) Beef - Have you ordered your CUSTOM half beef yet? Next processing will be September 11th with availability 3-4 weeks later. Simply confirm your order with a deposit is all that is needed to reserve your premium grass-fed beef. Don't miss our sale on Chuck Roast Bundle - buy 15 pounds and get 15% off the regular price. Sale price $5.85 per pound. Save $0.90 per pound. NOTE: Inventory will be added to "Out of Stock" items like Ribeye Steaks the week of September 5th.
3) Pork - We just restocked our freezer and have plenty of pork in stock. For a limited time we will offer Pork Chops on sale. Buy 15 pounds and get 15% off the regular price. Sale price $6.35 per pound. Save $1.15 per pound. Did you know you can pickup your order directly from our farm? Simply place your order and coordinate a time.
Farm Operation –
The last two weeks I have mentioned the research & investment we have made to convert our farm into a regenerative, local, direct marketing farm. To be successful, we have added diversity to the forage species as well as diversity in the number & type of animals we offer for sale. Probably the biggest change (and learning curve) has been from only selling Half or Whole Custom Beef to selling by the cut off our website and making monthly deliveries. BTW, we have almost 600 signed up for our newsletter.
While making deliveries this week several folks asked how do they know what product will be available throughout the year - a very good question. Let me see if I can answer that.
First, to raise the animals requires a lot of cash. When sales are slower we back off on production (like we did with chicken this summer). Second, freezer storage space is a constraint and a BIG cost of capital. Our freezer will only hold so much product and currently Merchants Company has not completed repairs to their facility caused by the tornado last January.
1) Chicken - the State limits me to 1,000 chicken per year. We schedule 8-batches of 125 broilers each per year between May to November. We first offer them fresh and any that are not sold fresh are added to our website inventory and put into our freezer for website sales - until sold out.
2) Pork - our objective is to raise 3-batches of 10 to 12 pigs each per year spaced about 4-months apart. About a month before harvest we add them to our website as CUSTOM Pork and start taking orders. Any that are not sold as Custom will be harvested under the farm name and added to our website inventory for individual cut purchases.
3) Beef - we target a 45-60 day calving season beginning Feb 1st of each year. That means the first steers will be ready June the following year. Beginning 60-days or so before harvest we add them to our website as CUSTOM Beef and start taking orders. We try to harvest 6-7 at a time. Any not sold as Custom will be harvested under the farm name and added to our website inventory for individual cut purchases. We hope to have all custom orders completed by Sept 30th so we can convert pastures to cool season forages for the next group of steers that will be next years sale.
Late fall we increase our beef inventory to cover expected sales between the Oct to June period the best we can.
Hi Ben, Fried up a package of bacon the other morning and it was phenomenal, melted in your mouth, best I've ever had! Made these brown sugar and spice roasted pork chops for dinner tonight (the carrots and kale are also local :) I expected a difference, but this has far exceeded my expectations! The chops were also phenomenal, my compliments to the farmer!!! Ingrid
Quote Worth Re-Quoting – “It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.” ~ W. Edwards Deming
As always, thank you for supporting our regenerative, local farm.
Ben & Beth