*RESTOCK UPDATE* Beef Aug 24th. Pork- August 4th. Chicken Aug 12, 19, and 26

Farm Updates

July 4, 2020

Good Morning and hello from the farm,

June is an "extra" busy month on the farm - especially for Beth - as that is when our garden vegetables are ready. As you probably guessed, when it is ready you have to make time to harvest and then comes the canning, etc. You cannot procrastinate or simply put off till another day.

When it comes to varieties like zucchini an extra day or two past optimal and you have an overly large specimen that is typically shared with the hens.

Now that July has arrived, most of the garden is only a memory.

Speaking of gardens - did you plant a garden this year? The Most Radical Act You Can Do IS Grow Your Own Food. This is the title from a recent article by Ray Archuleta a.k.a. The Soil Guy. Ray is partners in Understanding AG with Dr. Allen Williams and Gabe Brown.

Ray begins the article by illustrating how fragile our food system is and list three primary reasons. Bottom line - less than 1% of our population farm who feed the other 99%.

Then he recognizes the Dervaes Family Urban Homestead that only requires 1/10 acre lot. They grow over 400 different veggies, herbs, flowers, and berries. Plus, they harvest over 2,000 eggs and up to 50 lbs of honey. The homestead provides 99% of their food. The balance is sold providing annual gross sales greater than $20,000 per year. Read the article here!

Dervaes-Family-Urban-Homestead.jpg

Let me encourage you to learn more and get started preparing for your 2021 garden!

“In our society, growing food ourselves has become the most radical of acts. It is truly the only effective protest, one that can—and will—overturn the corporate powers that be. By the process of directly working in harmony with nature, we do the one thing most essential to change the world we change ourselves.” Jules Dervaes, Founder (1947-2016)

Last Week I introduced you to our new pigs

This week, I set up their rotation through the pasture and gave them the first section. They have really settled in and made themselves right at home and are enjoying the thick diverse forages available. I missed a great photo of them Wednesday, but will try again this week.

July 4th Independence Day Celebration

Most of you know that I served 36 years in the USAF and retired a full Colonel in June 2015. Needless to say Patriotism runs deep & strong in my family. I am proud to be an American and thankful for the wisdom of Our Founding Fathers in writing our Constitution and Declaration of Independence that guarantees liberties and rights we have enjoyed.

I'm reminded that just because we "have these guarantees does not mean we "always will". Just like Our Founding Fathers who risked and sacrificed their lives and possessions to bring us the Constitution and Declaration of Independence as well as the many lives lost in wars over the years to guard our liberties and rights - now we have a responsibility to stand up for our American values or risk loosing them.

Until next week,

Ben Simmons

Ben Simmons

Farm Announcements

Jun 27th, 2020 Read more...

The Value of Good Nutrition

Jun 14th, 2020 Read more...

What Is Your Food Freedom Vision

Jun 14th, 2020 Read more...